A Composition Class Project

The following novel is written in installments by the thirteen members of the Bevier C-4 Composition Class. The story is arranged as a novel, so pay no attention to the dates of posting, but follow the tale to its close. As of January 21, we are starting the third of five scenarios for our thirteen characters. You may email or leave comments if you like, and we will be happy to respond if you wish. Enjoy!

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Briley and Scarlet Scenario III



Briley left Haley’s apartment that Monday morning to get a coffee and bagels from the coffee shop on 32nd street, which was a block or two from the apartment. She didn’t want to waste her gasoline, so she just walked, enjoying the view. It was surprisingly a good neighborhood and in the few days she had been there, she had made a few friends in the apartment and in the neighborhood its self.
She was day dreaming about the lovely fellow from apartment B4 who had the most adoring green eyes when she came across the quaint coffee shop. Briley smiled as she walked into the shop encountering new faces, as she did everyday. At the counter was a tall brunette wearing a pink coat that stood out miraculously.
Briley stood behind the girl and waited patiently for the girl to order her coffee. The girl with the pink coat said, “I’ll take a coffee, black please.”
Briley watched as the girl paid for her coffee and stepped back right into Briley, spilling her coffee all over her beautiful pink coat. Briley exclaims, “OH MY GOSH!!! I am so sorry! I was standing too close and I wasn’t paying attention and…” She stopped looking at the girl and just started to cry, “Oh no, its no problem. I should have been more careful to watch out where I’m going. I’m Scarlet by the way,” the girl in the pink coat said.
“ I am so sorry. I will pay for the coffee or I will pay for the dry cleaners or whatever… Just let me pay you back somehow. I am Briley. And I am so sorry.”

After walking for what seemed hours she decided to stop at a coffee shop on 32nd Street and warm up. She walked up to the counter and took a look at the menu. All the different types of cappuccinos and espressos were just a little too much for the small town girl to handle. As she approached the cashier she said, “I’ll take a coffee, black, please.” As she stepped back she bumped into the person behind her and spilt the scorching hot coffee down her bright pink coat. “OH MY GOSH!!! I am so sorry! I was standing too close and I wasn’t paying attention and…,” exclaimed the girl behind her as she looked up at Scarlet tears welled up in her eyes. “Oh no, its no problem. I should have been more careful to watch out where I’m going. I’m Scarlet by the way,” she introduced. “I am so sorry. I will pay for the coffee or I will pay for the dry cleaners or whatever… Just let me pay you back somehow. I am Briley. And I am so sorry,” answered the girl.

After Scarlet agreed to let Briley pay for the coffee, they sat at a table, where Briley finally calmed down.

“I am so sorry, by the way. I also didn’t mean to burst into tears like that. I guess I am just really emotional lately,” Briley laughed.

“It’s okay. I am really emotional too. I just moved here and I have no one. All my family live in Oregon,” replied Scarlet. Scarlet was a pretty brunette with warm brown eyes. Briley felt at ease with this new stranger.

“Really? I just, well, sort of moved here from Kansas. I am rooming with my friend Haley. I had to get away. Hence, the emotional roller coaster ride,” Briley blushed as she said this and then laughed, “But Oregon. That’s interesting. What’s it like there?”

“Um… well I lived in a small town. It wasn’t anything big. There was a movie theater but that’s about it. The only thing I miss is my family,” Scarlet said, sipping her new coffee that Briley payed for.

“That’s cool. I didn’t really have family. I lived with my…EX boyfriend for a year and a half. Then I just moved here. A fresh start if you will.” Briley smiled at Scarlet, “Any emotional reasons for you to move to the Big Apple?”

Scarlet paused for a moment, trying to think about what to say. Then she nodded, “Just to be my own person, I guess. Nothing drastic like a break up,” Scarlet laughed at her own comment, causing Briley to laugh too.

“Briley Jamison. That’s my full name. What’s yours?,” Briley asked Scarlet.

“Scarlet Benochi. It’s Italian,” Scarlet smiled.

“An interesting name at that,” Briley smiled and drank her iced cappuccino.

For an hour or so, Briley and Scarlet sat and talked about where they lived and other things. Then, after exchanging numbers, they went there separate ways; Scarlet going off on her walk again and Briley going to Haley’s apartment with her coffee and bagel as promised.

No comments:

Post a Comment