A Composition Class Project

The following novel is written in installments by the thirteen members of the Bevier C-4 Composition Class. The story is arranged as a novel, so pay no attention to the dates of posting, but follow the tale to its close. As of January 21, we are starting the third of five scenarios for our thirteen characters. You may email or leave comments if you like, and we will be happy to respond if you wish. Enjoy!

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Kayden


" My name is Kayden Smith and I am on my way to the Big Apple! Hmm…mom just gave me this journal and I’m not sure how I should start? Well first off, I just turned 18 years old, and I just graduated from Mountain Valley High School. This trip is actually one of my graduation presents from my parents. I will give you a little bit of my background so you can get a feel for me.

"I graduated at the top of my class (131 students). Pretty impressive huh? Let me tell you, it wasn’t easy. Between softball, basketball, FCA, and Art Club I did not have much time to study, but I figured out a way to make it happen. Don’t misread, I still had time for a social life, but I am very focused on my studies. Along with being an honor student I excel in sports. I am a pitcher on the softball team, just like my mother, Danielle, who pitched in college. My dad, Tom, played basketball in college and he was a shooting guard. My brother, Josh, is sixteen years old and he plays football and baseball. Athleticism definitely runs in the family. Since this is such a long flight I will give you some facts about them:

"1) My mother, Danielle Smith, is probably one of the greatest moms in the world. She is my best friend, my coach, and she always makes me laugh. I can always count on her and I know I am going to miss her while I’m away. It was really hard for her to let me go on this trip because we are a very close family. My mother is a very smart woman, and she still knows how to throw a softball. I am very much like my mother- she played softball and basketball. She graduated at the top of her class, was involved in FCA, and she was an amazing artist. Our attitudes are also much like the same. We are stressful people, but at the same time we are very laid back. I love my mother so much. I miss her!!

"2) Tom Smth…this guy is amazing. I pretty much have the best parents in the world! He is so funny, smart, athletic, and he keeps my mom and I calm. He is the life of the party. I am very much my daddy’s little girl. He will always see me as his 12 year old. Believe it or not, he actually cried when I boarded the plane! Ever since he watched that stupid movie, Taken, he will not let me go anywhere. But my mom wears the pants in the relationship, so she over-ruled him. He is the softest biggest guy I know, and I love it!

"3) As far as Josh goes, he’s not half bad. We got really close this past year, and I can actually say I’m gonna miss the dork. Josh is a very unique young man. Along with being an All-State athlete, he has his priorities straight and he has high standards. I’m very proud of him for not being one of those ridiculously hormonal guys. He has a good head on his shoulder and he will succeed at anything he sets his mind to. We have been blessed with parents who care about the way we act, and who show us how to succeed in life. They held high standards for us, and I believe that is why we have turned out the way we are. Now lets talk about my future…

"I’m going to be spending the next five or six years of my life at Cornell! Woo hoo! Cornell is one of the reasons I wanted to go on this trip. I only visited once, but as soon as I saw the campus it just felt right. Still, I want to tour the campus as a future student. I do not know exactly what I want to major in, but I want to work in the medical field. Cornell has one of the best medical programs and I want to learn from the experts. Along with the school, New York City attracted me. I want to see the Brooklyn Bridge, Statue of Liberty, Times Square, and the Empire State Building. I might hit up a few of the art museums and a Yankees or Giants game if I have time. I’m only going to be here for two weeks and there is so much to do and so much to see! But enough about school, this is summer break and I’m ready to have some fun!

"Do not think I am some book nerd; I’m ready to have some fun. New York City is the fashion capital in the United States and I am ready for a shopping spree, and maybe a little bit of clubbing, but I’m not usually into that. Well journal…you know, I need a name for you. “Journal” is so boring. What about Chloe? Well Chloe, I’m about two hours away from the John F. Kennedy Airport, and I think I’m going to take a nap. Ttyl!"

-.-.-.-.-.-.-
Kayden set her pen down and closed the journal her mother gave her before she left. She thought her neighbor was getting tired of her writing. He was “clearing” his throat and tossing and turning since she turned the light on to write. Oh well, she asked the stewardess for a pillow and blanket and watched the back of her eyelids as they slowly fell.

by Katelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment